Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Arizona

My Dad, Aunt and I decided to skip the last snowfall (at least I thought it was going to be the last!) of the season and to visit family near Phoenix. We had a great time driving all over the place, looking at as many cactus and mountains as possible, went on some scary roads a little too close to shear drops, and hung out with our Arizona family. It was sunny and beautiful every day. In the mornings, we ate fresh grapefruit from the tree in the back yard and studied maps of where we were going on our daily adventure. After 5 or 6 days, we headed up through Flagstaff (loved this town!) and to the Grand Canyon!! I don't need to tell you how beautiful this was - it was sort of unreal and indescribable (not very helpful, I know). After spending the night in a cute little town on Route 66 called Williams, we traveled over to the Nevada border. We stopped at the marvelous Hoover Dam and then over to - you guessed it - Las Vegas. We didn't win big, but we had a lot of fun. My Dad hadn't been there for about 35 years, so it was fun to show him around a bit.

Here's some images taken from our travels in AZ:

Ahh, the open road...
big rocks everywhere

I didn't get sick of seeing cactus and desert.





this is a petrified cactus:




I heart Arizona!! :)

1 comment:

Edward Ott said...

awsome pictures. looks like a great trip. I had never even heard of a petrified cactus before.