Sunday, March 07, 2010

Moloka'i

We decided to take a short trip over to the island of Moloka'i. It is described as the most laid back of the Hawaiian islands and laid back it was. About 7,000 people live on the beautiful island and there is not one stop light. We enjoyed our time there and are so happy we went.

We took this tiny 9 passenger plane over to the island. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little nervous when I laid eyes on our transportation. Just goes to show how much I love to travel!
The plane is often used for scenic flights around the big island and the views distracted me from any fear I may have felt.
Moloka'i smells so good - clean, natural air. Much of the land is left alone and is unreachable by car.
We saw this little goat tied up by the side of a road. Cute little guy.
Saint Damien built a few churches on the island (more about him in the next post).



The island in the distance is Lana'i. I'd like to go there too!
We took a drive to the east side of the island - lots of cliffs, curvy roads, and the beautiful crashing ocean waves.
These cows have a pretty nice view.





After a long day of seeing lots of beauty, we went to Aloha hour at a local bar with this view. The community elders get together here on Friday evenings as the sun is setting to play ukuleles and sing. There are fish ponds around the island that were built for the Kings of the past. It makes the water near shore as calm as glass. It reminded me of being at a lake in Minnesota (umm, except for the palm trees).

No comments: