Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Queenstown


Queenstown is the place to go in New Zealand if you have lots of money and are into extreme sports. It is a big ski resort hot spot in the winter when the beautiful mountains fill with snow. One of the popular ski locations is a mountain range near Queenstown called "The Remarkables." This resort town is also known for adrenaline rush activities, like bungy jumping, white water rafting, para-gliding, sky diving, etc. It has a population of only 7500, but there are tons of tourists around.

Our experience of Queenstown is much different than it would be for a big-budget adventure-seeker. We are staying here for 1 1/2 weeks and have been working. It is enough of an adrenaline rush for me to watch other people bungy jump (plus I don't have the money). The town really has some great scenery. I'm impressed with how natural and stunning it is (I guess if you are going to para-glide, you might as well do it in a beautiful place). I'm glad that we get to stay here for a bit to get to know the city and look at The Remarkables (even though I think the three of us are really starting feel ready for Fiji).

On the way to Queenstown:

Rugby practice:

You can see para-gliders pretty much all the time on nice days:


Lake Wakatipu






These people are braver than me:


No comments: