Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Arriving in England

I've made it to England! The flight went pretty well. I was a little disappointed that we didn't have those personal entertainment systems on the plane. I had assumed that all international flights used them now, but they had us on this old cramped plane. I got lucky though because the seat next to me was open. It was a pretty full flight and I think it would have been a lot less comfortable with another person sitting so close to me. Despite the fact that I could stretch my legs a bit, I didn't sleep very well. I can't seem to sleep for very long on planes and it just felt to early for sleep because I am such a night owl. We sat on the ground while they were fixing something for about an hour before take off, so we didn't arrive until 10:00 am London time. That was 4:00 am Minneapolis time and I had slept for two hours at the most. So, I was a bit tired and confused. Alycia's Dad was on the same flight as me, so her and her future mother-in-law, Heather, came to pick us up. It is very green here! Most of the leaves have fallen in Minneapolis and it has become quite chilly. It felt pretty nice outside here in England yesterday; I don't think I even needed my sweater. The green is really bright and refreshing! They've told me that the weather is really warm for this time of year, so hopefully it will be nice for the wedding day.

Yesterday was kind of wasted because I was too tired to think, let alone go anywhere. I was so exhausted by 5:00 pm, I thought I could go to bed and sleep through the night. I should have made myself stay awake until at least 8:00, but I was too tired to care about avoiding jet lag and all that. I slept pretty good through the night, only waking up a couple times. Around 2:30 am, I didn't think I could go back to sleep, but getting up and doing some homework took care of that. ;) The next time I woke up, it was close to 6 am and I was ready for a shower. I'm glad that I didn't stay up at 2:30 because that would have started me on a terrible schedule.

I think this week will be pretty busy with wedding stuff and what not, but I will have some time to wonder around and get to know Oxford again. Alycia's is having a 'hen party' either tonight or tomorrow and that should be a good time!

The house I am staying in is gorgeous! It is quite large for an English house and they even have internet access! Heather is going to drop me off at the train station in a bit and I will travel to Oxford. It will take about an hour to get there and I'm excited to see some more of that bright green country side. I'm sure that Oxford will look different to me in some ways. We've probably both changed some since we last met.

No comments: