Thursday, October 26, 2006

Oxford

It is Thursday evening and I am at an internet cafe in Oxford. I took a train here on Tuesday and walked around for a while. It was nice to be back here, but I think I was still feeling the effects from the plane ride and time difference because I felt like I could fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Being here felt confusing more than anything. I walked around taking pictures for a bit, relaxed in a cafe, and then headed back to Maidenhead. Maidenhead is about an hour away from here by train and I've been staying there with Jon's parents (Heather and Robin). Wednesday, after sleeping for 12 hours the night before, I was better able to function. I actually spent most of the day talking with Heather. She is a really great woman and I really enjoyed our talk. We discussed the perspectives of the English and Americans on the world. It is interesting to learn about how the English feel about things and it is also interesting to think about my perspectives on how Americans are/think about things. I helped her out a bit with the programs for the wedding while we were chatting.
Last night was Alycia's hen party. I arrived in Oxford at about 5 and walked around before I met up with her. It was raining a little and I was listening to Radiohead on my ipod and it felt really good to be here again. It really hasn't changed too much since I've last been here. There are definitely more people here and it seems that the girls are a lot more dressed up than they used to be, but most other things look the same. The buildings and Universities are still there and will be for a long time. It is quite the city. Anyway, we went out and had a pretty calm, but fun hen party. Her host Mom and sisters came out for a while and in the end it was Alycia and I drinking wine at a place called "Copa." It was a good time. I just slept at Jon's last night because it was a later night. Alycia and I went out to lunch and hung out in Oxford today. The weather is really nice - it's sunny and comfortable.

I wish I could share some pictures with you, but I haven't been able to get wi-fi yet and all my photos are on my lap top. I will get some up here just as soon as I can though, I promise. Tomorrow is the rehearsal for the wedding, so I will go to that and check out the church and reception location. Alycia said the church is beautiful, so I can't wait to see it. The reception will be at a pub, so that should be pretty fun. What they call breakfast will take place at the pub after the ceremony (which is at noon). It sounds like quite a fancy meal. Then the reception party starts at 7pm. It will definitely be different from every other wedding I've shot. I'm excited to see it all come together.

No comments: