Thursday, February 01, 2007

Aotearoa

I saw this rock on the beach in Napier. Aotearoa is the Maori name for New Zealand and it means "Land of the long white cloud." Someone wrote it on this rock and left it on a beach full of rocks. I happened to find it after talking to a guy walking down the beach. I had walked to the ocean to say good-bye to this part of it and to the city of Napier. This man that I spoke with had two dogs that he told me were part dingo. He kicked up rocks and the dogs would jump to catch them. I talked to him for a bit and he offered me a place to stay if I ever return to Napier. As I watched him walk away, I looked down and saw this rock. I took a picture of it but couldn't dream of taking it from the beach. Someone left it there because they wanted it there.

On the ferry ride passing through the islands of mountains that came out of the ocean, I thought about this rock and what it says. The person that wrote it may not have even traveled anywhere else. But, he or she knows that this is the best place in the world. What a great feeling: to know that you are just where you should be and want to be. I can't imagine there being a more beautiful place and the people that grew up here have been able to be around it their entire lives. I don't know that this is the best place for me forever, but it seems that it is the best place for me right now. When I was on that ferry I thought, "I wouldn't be any where else..." But, this is a temporary place for me and I will be returning to my home in April, which will be the best place for me then.

When we arrived in the south island, we drove to Blenheim where we will stay for about one week. We stayed with a couple the first night that live here and have extra room in their house. Katie found them online and we just loved being there. Drew and I stayed up until after 2:30 am talking to Nathan. He is such an intelligent guy and it was so amazing to have a conversation with him. He learned and can speak Maori and I am again inspired to learn another language. Up to this point, we had not had the opportunity to sit down and talk to a Maori person and it was the greatest experience. He was so honest and good and willing to share with us. I envy the sense of knowing your ancestoral background and it being part of your life. I admire a lot of things about the people here and have a lot more to learn.

No comments: